Transportation is provided to District schools for all students K-12, regardless of where they reside within the school district. Transportation is also provided for all students attending private and parochial schools up to a distance of 15 miles from home to school. Requests for transportation to private and parochial schools must be received by the Transportation Department no later than April 1st for the following school year. The request form below provides further information.
Parents are urged to instruct their children in the rules of proper bus behavior. The District reserves the right to suspend the privilege of bus transportation for students who threaten the safety and well-being of themselves, other children, the bus driver or the bus itself. Please be aware that video cameras may be used on buses to help monitor activities and to reinforce acceptable behavior.
BUS ROUTE INFORMATION AVAILABILITY
Your child’s bus route information is now available on Infinite Campus via the Parent Portal. Hard copies of the bus pass letter are only mailed to incoming PreKindergarten and Kindergarten students.
The following guidelines are in place for everyone’s safety. Please ensure your child is aware of these safety protocols and understands how to follow them.
- To responsibly manage the transportation budget and follow all re-opening safety requirements, it is important that bus stops and routes established by the District be strictly adhered to.
- Students must arrive at the bus stop 10 minutes prior to the estimated bus arrival time.
- Students are required to maintain proper social distancing at the bus stop, while entering the bus, and on the bus itself.
- Buses will be loaded from back to front, other than kindergarten students who are encouraged to sit in the front of the bus. Students will be required to sit only one per bench, by the window, on both sides of the aisle. Only members of the same household can sit together.
- Students are required to wear masks not only at the bus stop, but also on the bus for the entire duration of the trip.
- Each bus driver is responsible for disinfecting the frequently touched areas of the bus after each route.
- Students need to be at their assigned bus stop only, since each bus seat is accounted for.
- Students are not to wait inside their homes for the bus to arrive; students who are not at their assigned bus stop when the bus arrives will risk missing their bus. Especially now, bus drivers cannot delay the route while waiting for a student to arrive at the stop.
Realizing that all of these safety precautions may cause some arrival, loading and unloading delays, we appreciate your patience and understanding.
Bus riding is a privilege and may be suspended or revoked for inappropriate or dangerous conduct which includes but is not limited to, a student removing his/her face mask while being transported to school. Most buses are equipped with video recording devices which may be used to assist the District in identifying instances of questionable behavior. Please take the time to discuss with your child the importance of following the above guidelines for their safety and the safety of the entire community.
We appreciate your cooperation and look forward to a safe and healthy school year!
PRIVITE AND PAROCHIAL SCHOOL TRANSPORTATION APPLICATION
NEW YORK STATE DEADLINE FOR SUBMITTING APPLICATIONS IS
APRIL 1, 2021.
ACTIVITY & ATHLETIC ROUTES
At this time, due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, there are no activity routes for elementary schools. Students should get on their bus at the end of the day, as there will be no additional later buses.
TRANSPORTATION CONCERNS COMMUNICATION PROTOCOL
The following communication protocol should be followed:
For Concerns Regarding Routes, Pick-Up Issues, Driver Information Or Safety Problems:
Step 1: Transportation Department, 631-870-0595,
Step 2: Dr. Christine Jordan, Assistant to the Superintendent, 631-870-0510
For Behavior Concerns On The School Bus:
Step 1: Bus Driver
Step 2: Assistant Principal
Step 3: Principal
Step 4: Dr, Christine Jordan, Assistant to the Superintendent, 631-870-0510